Saturday, October 27, 2007

Closing The Achievement Gap Online

That's what WestEd's got planned for next week. What're you up to?

The on-line discussion cum policy initiative incubator is entitled: Achieving Success For All Students: A Statewide Initiative on Closing the Achievement Gap. Each day of the week is devoted to a different aspect of the mission, with with panelists, participants, and facilitators on-hand to stir the pot and get things rocking and rolling. I'll be a panelist for Monday's topic, Access to Learning Opportunities. Catch me early morning and early afternoon, cuz after that it's on to our second game of the year (0-3, 0-0).

So...
I was a little underwhelmed. Too many people, too many perspectives, too little structure and organization. Moreover, too little interaction and engagement. A lot of folks (including me) posting their sound-bite chatechism perspectives in isolation of one other.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

TMAO,

You're the only teacher on this panel. Four days of conversation, a truckload of consultants, principals, and outside sources, but you're the only teacher.

I'm glad for you, but frustrated that teachers are underrepresented.

10:28 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

TMAO - Good for you. This is the kind of change we need to be fostering in education right now. I like very much that you practice what you preach.

I'm a new reader and poster, I don't always agree with everything you say, but I certainly respect your voice. You always make me think, even when I'm yelling at the monitor.* : ) I can forsee posting again, and delightfully witter banter and discussion ensuing. I think I would very much like to teach next to you, sir, and I would be delighted if my intermediate elementary special education students moved on to a teacher of your quality.

*disclosure: I did not yell at this post in particular.

~ HoosierTeacher

6:46 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi TMAO! This is my first time visiting your blog. I have enjoyed your blog, however, am skeptical. Edcuation is placid. It changes often and takes on a myriad of shapes. Much of the change is contingent upon various factors we teachers may be unaware of (political for example). Teaching harder does not always change the situation. If only it were that simple- we strive and try nonetheless.

7:43 PM  
Blogger Kilian Betlach said...

Johanna: Yup. I was drowning in cde employees.

HT: Sometimes I scream at the monitor while typing. Thanks for coming around.

Anon: Don't get me wrong, I think we should work smarter, too.

7:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home